Monday, March 8, 2021

Vanishing Point

Recently I learned the Ice Age 50 mile has been moved to September 11th. This falls on my 60th birthday. It has promoted me to drop my current habit of running at a very slow pace in the name of just piling up miles. After much thought and writing out various schemes I have developed a strategy. It is as follows. Monday thru Friday Run twice a day at an up tempo pace for 35-40 minutes. On Tuesday and Thursday evenings run with Big Kick Track Club easy. Fridays will be looked at as well if I am gassed. Saturday off. Sunday I will alternate weeks with a long run and a trail pace run at goal pace. The pace run will allow me to figure out what I can possibly achieve. The A goal for now is 8:30. The mileage will fall between 55-65 per week. Last week I was a bit aggressive. This left me waxed at the end of the week. I will attempt to back off a bit on the up tempo runs. I did 6 out the door up tempo runs of 4.3 miles and averaged 9:01, 8:44, 8:13, 8:14, 8:29, and 8:21 on those. Friday I opted for 6.2 easy and Saturday off. Sunday was 14.0 @ 10:52 and I struggled a bit the last 5 miles. Ended the week with 58.2 miles. It wouldn't hurt to cut weight. I was 178 on Tuesday. I am 5'11" so there is room there. Historically if I am in the low 170s that is good for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment