Saturday, April 1, 2023

But I don't even work here

 Each week a bit more confidence is gained as Ice Age approaches.   Six weeks out means about 4 more weeks of decent training.  Today was a long run and today was the day I proved to myself I could obtain one of the metrics.  A couple months ago the plan was the same as it had been.  Run 50-55 a week with a lot of walking and a hand full of long efforts.  Then it was felt if 20 miles could be had at 11:15 pace then this was a good mark.

 Not long after this I saw a picture of myself finishing in 2022.  Fat, slow, and leaning so bad to one side (again), that it motivated me to change some things.  Losing weight had to help.  I need about 5 more pounds to get to my old fighting weight of 172.  I added tempo runs and a few well timed moderate efforts to make me faster.  Then in a rare move, I actually move around 3 days a week near 12-14 minute miles to rest up.

 Today the plan was go find a groove and stay there.  I wasn't going after it like last week, but I wanted the pace to be respectful.  So without any food before or during the run and subsiding on only water and coffee I ran 23.3 miles at 10:18 pace in 4:00:23.  I'm not sure what this tells me, but it does reinforce the high end goal of 10:30 is not off the table.  The goal is just to finish, not chase time, but some days if you ain't blastin' you and lastin'.

 Next week I'll go around 5 hours and practice run/walk strategies at about 2 minutes slower a mile.  I have not sought out the trails much.  I'm trying to increase speed.  Besides, I end up pulling tics out of funky places a day or two later which freaks the wife out.  

No comments:

Post a Comment