Saturday, September 24, 2022

A chickenhawk

 I was out early today on the kayak.  It has exclusively become a time to watch and learn about the birds around this lake area.  So much to take in and learn.  Lots of grackles today.  The black bellied whistling ducks were out in flight.  Many of the regulars were out.  The great blue heron is common, but was able to observe one landing way up in a big tree.  Pretty cool.  There are what appear to be many moorhens, but still trying to be sure.  I'd guess today there were about 10 species identified.   One appeared to be a little blue heron, however I get skeptical until I have a few other good looks under my belt. 

 Still unable to jog or walk at even 3mph pace.  I still shoot for 10,000 steps on the day through a serious of slow short hikes.  The watch has me at 2 - 2.5mph.  The back muscle is still a nuisance.  The good news is that it is about 20-30% better.  Must be nerve related as my left leg had a bit of numbness and can buckle if too much pressure is applied suddenly.   I am not a swimmer, but have been getting in the pool and try to cover a 1000 yards just because the number looks cool on my watch.  It is not all swimming.  It is about half swimming.   No where near any swimming shape.  In fact never have I been in swimming shape.

 If I did not mention this before I am now.  The company who has employed me the past 38 years has extended me the opportunity to work here full-time and I accepted.   I will cover my old territory until a replacement is found.  This is great news in many ways.

 The other though for future ponderment is signing up for the Ice Age 50 mile next year.  This will probably happen.  There are many elements for me to line up physically.   Honestly, for the first time is the realization I may not be capable of finishing in 12 hours flat or less.  It'll be something to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment