Thursday, September 22, 2022

The incredible Mr. Limpkin

 Outside of a few easy miles walking  a day, I have been kayaking, swimming, and doing light resistance training.  The back muscles have been painful, so running appears out for now.  The miles are accumulated through a bunch of short strolls focusing on not hunching or lurching along like Chef Mike.

 Recently the daily kayak has turned into a birding adventure.  Recently I came across the 51 most common lake birds in Central Florida.   I probably saw 8 of them today.  One notable one was the Limpkin who had just captured an apple snail.   This is their primary food source. 

 There were some beautiful birds one could get real close to.  I paddled past about a half mile of deep lilly pads on one side and scour the tree tops on the other side.  Last week a nice Osprey top out on one tree.  A week ago a Great Blue Heron was surprisingly in a tree.  I should probably start carrying the phone for pics.

 The one I really want to see is the Belted Kingfisher.  I was out at sunbreak today and was headed directly into the sun.  As my eyes managed the strong glare off the water it seemed possible the silhouette up ahead was indeed this trophy of a bird.  The forces were just too great for me to get a good look as it took little for him to take wing.  The sun don't shine on the same dogs ass every day.  Poof.  It was gone.

33.3 miles last week of almost all walking.  It's time to face the final curtain.


No comments:

Post a Comment