Thursday, February 3, 2022

I wanna see some history

 Anxious to have a few more good runs this week, but sensing I need to back off a bit on the Achilles.  Thursday after work we hobble for 6ish miles so that will be the plan.  I really like to get one in early, but can’t risk the miles.  I’ll hike about 5 miles with Jeff on Friday so I can try and air a longer run out on Saturday.

 Saturday is the John Dick 50k and for the sake of not risking too much I’ll have to pass.  Besides we have a lot of work to do on the house.  Hoping to list it in the next 10 days or so.  

 In my mind for Ice Age has been constructed a loose training plan.  It’s a blueprint many follow.  Inside each week, two good efforts are planned.  At 60 these will not be strides or faster interval type runs.  For me they are primarily tempo runs.  Examples range between the two mile lightning to 3-5 miles at a stiff pace.  When moved an occasional fartlek type session is used to blast a few hills and such.  Currently the thought is to alternate Saturday with a standard long run and the following week work up to 15-20 miles at a pace perceived to carry at Ice Age.  Eventually when the trails are clear you do these out on the course or similar terrain.  

 I don’t have any times to plug in yet.  It is tough to calculate as my body gives me various platforms to operate from.  Recently things have steered positive.  This is encouraging because the runs actually feel better and take less time to complete.  

 If a person wants to run 10 hours that is 12 minute miles with everything figured in.  I look at my workout times and how those felt to determine my goal time.  The faster workouts help with my cruise speed and the Saturday runs at perceived pace runs give me a target to project over 50 miles.  The whole exercise is figuring out if what I’m doing equals those 12 minute miles.  In this day and age of everything can be beautiful and fulfilling it is easy to miscalculate.  You have to have a handful of workouts and training weeks that confirm what you are doing.  The challenge for me and many other folks is doing it on less miles (for whatever reason) and the other for me is weight.

 15 pounds have to come off which means 172 range at starting line.  When I ran cross country in high school it was obvious to me, but not to most of my teammates that to improve one needed to run more miles.  Glaringly obvious.  In like manner for me it is weight.  How can I expect to get better or carry the work load with 15 extra pounds?  Glaringly obvious.  I don’t have a good plan to do this, but with perseverance and a goal it is attainable.  

No comments:

Post a Comment