Saturday, February 19, 2022

.35 cent drafts

 For years I have wanted to incorporate Beck’s marathon plan to a 50 mile.  There are many differences in the training/racing surfaces, but the principles are the same.  I just wrote down what it would look like, adjusting the miles in the plan to time. The hard, moderate, and pace runs would fall on the same days, but adjusted in my mind to the effort given on the day.  Also keep in mind it is winter here, so good luck time trialing with -18F wind chills.

 But I don’t know.  Following this will limit my running time substantially with others.  Lately I have a history of being tired and this plan definitely can wear on you.  Also add all the work, move, and self imposed stress I have managed to heap on myself.  Sometimes as people we find mysterious ways to weave ourselves into conundrums.  I’m just not trustworthy of much sometimes.  That bugs me.  Getting off topic, but I often wonder once I’m moved and in Florida can I not have a phone?  Could I have a simple email I check 1-2 times a day?  Would someone employee me without these?  

 I mean I would write occasional letters.  People could reach my wife.  Again, I’d look at email once a day.  I want to go the other direction.  I mean many of us did it for decades.

 I came across this:

 “The beginning of greatness is to be little;

The increase of greatness is to be less;

And the perfection of greatness is to be nothing.”

Quoted by D. L. Moody

 When I attended Slippery Rock there was a bar about 8 miles out called The Shed.  Scrawled on the wall in what was supposed to be the bathroom was, “We’re just a couple of guys who want to drink a little beer and smoke a little dope.”  I wonder in some way all these years later if we aren’t trying to reach a similar spot.


No comments:

Post a Comment