Wednesday, February 2, 2022

Of course it’s a good idea

 I mapped out some goal pace times for Ice Age.  Essentially it is broken down in three segments.  The first 10.5 miles which is the best running, the next 29.5 miles of single track rollers, and the final 10 miles in.  I have the final 10 as a segment because from there in I struggle every year now.  I still strongly believe the best method of running the course is by just going out at your day to day pace.  Don’t get too excited and be sure to take care of your current and future needs.  If there is any magic left in the final couple hours then by all means, put the hammer down.

 But it is hard just to look at it that way, so it can be fun to plot out pace per mile for those segments against a challenging goal.  Then you train towards that goal and see if it can be put together.  In essence we call it racing.  Yes…racing yourself, but hey if you can take down a few over zealous stalwarts along the way then so be it.

 I am not at the point to start setting these goal paces, or even a finish time goal.  The fact that I have had a few decent runs does give me hope, but I can’t get carried away, because it is easy to train to ruin.  Best to consider losing the extra 15 pounds and run smart, but modest mileage.

No comments:

Post a Comment