Sunday, February 6, 2022

The greatest of these

 No matter how many times you move, items in your possession are discovered and one ponders what to do with them.  Why have I been carting around these beer cans (some with beer still in them) for decades?  Bags of bolts, braces, and screws for something I apparently was going to repair or fix.  Lastly the personal items.  Grandma gave me this, this was Dad’s watch, and various coins and bills from who knows where.  Lastly why are there huge amounts of random pens and even pencils?  I thought I was good at throwing that stuff away?

 Now you know why you tell people not to get you anything.  If I’m being honest I see a fair amount of items on the donate pile that were never opened.  I have dwindled down my sport card collection to about half.  It was not hard getting rid of a lot of the 80’s and 90’s stuff once you realize there are as common as today’s printed money.

 So the projects around the house have kept me busy.  I totally skipped my Saturday run so I could stay fresh.  I’m going to meet the fellas this morning and shoot for an easy 10.  I’ve dropped down to 182.  Now I’d like to get after that next 10 pounds.

 I have a son and a daughter who live about 15 and 25 miles away.  We primarily see each other over holidays and birthdays.  Everyone goes their own way, carrying on life.  Well today we are having a game day.  I’ll be cooking wings and serving pizza and snacks.  It makes me look back as I spent most of my life as an adult living away from my parents and siblings.  If I can change one thing in the future it will be keeping in contact with all the family moving forward, even if this means writing more often.  Coming from a place and time where no one wanted to be beholden to anyone, meaning folks you may even be related to would let you know they probably wouldn’t be calling or writing back.  Not that there are any issues, it just seems to be the culture.  Maybe the word beholden was the wrong use, but people don’t want to owe you anything.  This culture of evenness.  Whatever you do for me then I must return at least this much back.  It seems cold, and maybe it is for some people, but it wasn’t meant this way.  

 Just a note for the younger readers.  When you don’t run for a couple days, you still wake up with the same level of stiffness.  So you might as well still be getting after it most days.

No comments:

Post a Comment