Friday, January 21, 2022

Forget it Jake

 Starting to get really cold.  At -7F this morning, along with the knowledge that I’m old, getting motivated is hard.  Now I have been up since 3:45am so 4 cups of coffee helps.  It has been a long journey and as often as I am still churning out breakthrough training plans in my mind one can also feel the futility of it all.  

 My aim is to average 50-60 miles a week annually.  Not a big number, but always enough to generate the feeling I could launch into something right away if necessary.  Lately some of those miles have included walking which is easily justified when all you really do is try and get in 2-3 ultras a year.  About a week or so ago I finally absorbed the reality that I am way average.  My watch disagrees with me stating that my workouts are in the poor range for my age.  Lately my fitness age was 78.  Thanks…for that.

  But the watch doesn’t lie they say.  Looks like I’m finally going to have to consider moving around less outside.  I do see the advantages of cross training, but that has zero appeal.  I am a runner, despite what that all looks like now.  

 I’m going to work on somehow completing my 20th Ice Age 50 mile under the cutoff this year.  It is the approach I must take.  Somehow I will have to face these realities and coach myself to a goal that is formidable.  It’s not just the running.  Some day, if you have ran most of your life you will share the same experience.  The big question every day is if it is worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment