Sunday, January 2, 2022

Dust on the scales

 In theory it is busy in the Dehart household.  We bought a home in Florida and close January 10th.  We have work to do on our current residence and hope to put it up for sale in February.  Which means I will be retiring soon from my current job of 37+ years.  This seems odd, but that is how it works.  Not sure how the timing will all work out, but time is marching on.  It is time for us and if I had to give one main reason that would be for reasons of health projection.

 I have started a project I should have started 20 years ago.  I had amassed about 120,000 sports cards.  The thrill of opening packs and sets was a big deal to me for 30 years.  People recognized this and many of these came in the form of gifts over the years.  Been chipping away and have probably given away or donated 20,000 cards the last year.  Essentially anything from the 80s and 90s is worthless and that is where the bulk of it is from.  I did list my basketball cards for sale.  I’d should get this down to 30 - 40 thousand cards by the move.  

 I have started doing a little running.  I still cover a good 40 miles a week walking and shuffling.  It makes absolutely zero sense that I am looking at a 100 miler at the end of March, but I am.  Getting out has never been a problem.  Like sports cards (primarily baseball), running has always been easy to get involved in.  Once I grew old, worn, and slow it seemed like giving it up would be easy.  It has not.  The 100 I am looking at is pancake flat.  It seems like a challenge.  The biggest being staying in one piece and the other is the timing is terribly poor.  

 Put in 6.2 on 1/1 with a few folks.  Mostly all running. On 1/2 I managed 8.4 at 14:18 pace with walking.  Again, my problem is me.  It’s hard to hold back.  

No comments:

Post a Comment