Saturday, May 19, 2018

Lovin', touchin', squeezin'

Lovin'

It's no mystery to anyone who knows me that this is my favorite race.  On May 12th I finished my 17th Ice Age 50 mile.  You could not ask for conditions any better than what we had.  The rain held and after starting in the low 40s, I don't think it got any higher than the low 50s.  I started out conservative as usual and after 9 miles was in about 65th+ place out of just under 400 starters.  As usual I met a few new people and caught up with a couple others.  Dewey was on hand as expert crew so I could easily get through the transitions.  I chose not to carry a water bottle which suits me as I rarely train with one.  Once on the single track I made plans to get into a trail trance and tippy toe down to the turn at 21.7.  Again, only one quick pit stop on the trail and Dewey zipped me through the aid stations.  I did pass the conga line of 10-12 people at about 14.5 miles so as not to get out of my rhythm.  As the leaders started coming back I counted 53 people ahead of me roughly.  When it was my time to turn I made a mental note to keep it tight as people start coming back.

By now I am shirtless and saw very few guys taking advantage of this opportunity.  It was sort of a pick me up.  I begin picking off a few people as I spend very little time walking hills.  I'll walk them the first quarter of the race, but as people tire they walk way slower.  I pick up huge chunks of real estate.  Surprisingly there always seems to be someone to gather in.  In past years (when there was only 25-35 ahead at the turn) I might go miles before seeing anyone.  So far my target of breaking 8:30 seems doable.  I just can't get carried away early like last year going after people.  I get back to Highway 12 in pretty good shape, but I have something pressing to take care of.

Touchin'

From 12 there is about 24 miles to go and I have to crunch.  Just out of the station up on the hill there is a crossing I can dart over to.  This takes way longer than I want as I watch several people from my perch get back ahead of me.  No big deal.  I start touchin' the earth a bit faster and there is a set of younger ladies I had passed just past the 21.7 turn.  I cannot close the gap and in fact they pull away from me.  I heard them say it was their first 50 mile.  The one will finish 3rd overall in just under 8:05 and I eventually will get ahead of the other later on, but for now I have to let them go.  Through the winding woods to Duffin I catch a couple more and at about 30.5 miles I finally accept a bottle from Dewey.  He won't be able to render aid personally for about 10 miles.

This is where I run a bit with Bill Hutchinson.  Bill's having a good run and he introduces himself as we have a common friend in Steve H-K.  Bill goes on to tell me he reads this blog which must bring me up to double digits for readers by now.  Not bad for 7 years.  Bill points out a trio of runners going up the hill to Confusion Corner and I tell him I'm going to run up this puppy.  We part for now and Bill goes on to have a solid finish.  This where I start winding in people who went out too fast.  This back segment has plenty of small and winding hills.  I'm doing okay, but I'm just trying to maintain at this point.  The genie is still in the bottle and I am hoping Larry Hagman isn't out on the trails today.  I'm hoping to Mary Martin it in the rest of the way as there is about 17 miles to go.

Just before Horseman's, Dewey tells me Stuart is a minute up on me and Robert is 2 minutes up.  This only really matters because both are my age and John Horns (MN) is so far ahead that he ain't coming back.  I meet former Ice Age champ (Stuart) at the aid station.  He basically tells me he's a bit knackered and to have a good finish.  I return the comment and start towards Emma wondering if I'll see Robert anywhere.  Just before halfway out to Emma I see Robert and he is walking the hills.  I get pretty close to him, but he keeps pulling away on anything remotely flat.  I watch him pull into Emma and soon after I am there as well.  We acknowledge each other and I know at this point I can't just light out after him.  There is 9.7 miles to go and I have to stick with what I am doing.  In my mind I hear Keith Jackson's voice, "We have a dandy brewing here!"

None of this is remotely important, but Robert and I know each other well.  After a back injury that kept him from running for at least a year he is back running well.  You really only get a few places in the woods here where you can see someone 30-60 seconds ahead of you.  Each time I'd get to one of these spots I'd get a glimpse of Robert walking the far hill.  I am going to find out if my run the hill doctrine (I will walk a few short steps at times) is any match for his walk the hill and take off method.  I'm confident because this has worked all day.  I'm afraid to walk a hill because then I'll lose sight for good.  On the backside of Star I see Robert walking what is one of the largest hills on the course.  I charge up most of it, allowing one little short walk break before starting the last 3 miles.  Again I see him at Confusion Corner and once through there and around the bend go fairly hard on the downhill.  At Bluff (1.5 miles to go) I pull the plug and can see I am getting closer.  Robert does not look back, but I know, that he knows, that I know, that he knows I'm coming.  With about 0.7 miles to go there is a decent little hill and I get within 50 yards of him.  I actually hear him tell Joel Lammers (Another former champ our age who is out due to a knee issue) something along the lines of look who's right behind me.

That's where it ended right there.  I could not close anymore and if anything Robert put a little more ground on me.  I didn't let up.  He just wasn't having it that day and finished 20 seconds ahead of me in 8:28:01 to my 8:28:21 and also garnered the RRCA WI title for our age.  Congrats Robert!  The effort also had me clip one more guy by a few seconds at the very end which allowed me to finish in 29th overall.  I'll take it.

Dewey thanks for everything it really helps having legendary crew.  Clem and Tim thanks for coming out to cheer.  Bill great meeting you out on the trail and congrats on a great run.  Dean that was a great PR!  Andy congrats on the 27th finish and the sub 10:00 performance.  Poulton's great seeing you all and Kevin as well.  Mr. Mallach another tremendous job as RD.  Angela thanks for gathering up all those wonderful and thoughtful volunteers.

Squeezin'

All in all I held up well.  I broke 8:30 and did a little racing at the end.  I would not have broke 8:30 if Robert wasn't up there pushing.  With 2 miles to go my watch said 8:11:xx, so pushing it got me under 8:30.  It was good to visit for a couple hours and then get home for a shower.  Sitting on the couch about 8:30pm I moved to itch my groin which I'm prone to do on occasion and something did not feel right.  I was up in there trying to figure it out, but couldn't without eye balling it.  I wasn't sure what the deal was until I had the wife come over and confirm it was a tick buried in.  I got out the tweezers and squeezed his rear end right out of there.  Two days later in the shower I discovered another on the back nape of my neck that broke free.  Freakin' free loaders.

4 comments:

  1. Nice recap and congrats on a great race! Good luck in your training for the S-H G.F. Nationals...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your great race!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys. It would be great to see all of you at Ice Age in any capacity next year. Truly a classic!

    ReplyDelete