Monday, November 18, 2019

Didn't put enough dirt down

We rocket off the starting line and man does it feel good.  Looks like we all have the same strategy.  After a couple hundred yards we begin to thin out.  Soon after this and I mean real soon people drop like flies.  Not a half mile into this thing and there are five of us up front with 2.5 miles to go.  This is all new to me, but one thing is clear...I'm hurting already.  All I know is it is a race.  My job is to catch those guys ahead of me.  We spread out.  There are huge gaps of space between anyone I can see.  With a mile to go it is clear I am not catching anyone ahead of me.  I really had no idea that running could be this painful.  This particular course has a gradual uphill the last quarter mile.  There is no fan fair, you simply run to the finish line and it is all over.  I don't recall having anyone finish near me.  Coach seems glad to see me.  I finish 3rd overall.  Glad that is over.  Everyone else seems to be like me.  Tired as hell and bent over.  My buddy Rob has the dry heaves.  There are a few sprint finishes between teammates and competitors.  Not long after this we climb on the bus and head home.  Welcome to cross-country.

Today was an off day.  Felt like a wash rag that you wring out.  I cooked breakfast for Mrs. D and coaxed her into going to the 9am service today.  Initially I was thinking of an easy hour or so, but at some point common sense has to kick in.  I did stroll with the dog an easy hour at dusk.  The public hunting area is right by my house with the gun club across the road.  Tomorrow if an off day and thoughts of getting my hunting license is on my mind.  You never know when something might be the last time you do that.  Hunting was a favorite growing up.  We shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment