Thursday, February 16, 2023

Big boys don't cry

 After the Super Bowl seemed like a good time to concentrate on Ice Age training.   Time to get off the hot fudge and mashed potato diet.  The first thing was go to calorie count.   Not worried about opinions, it seems to work for me.  I've noticed how food tastes much better when eating less.  Looking for better calorie options happens as well.  My challenge is the evening as a good 60% of my calories can be consumed. 

 If I can get to the low 170 range would be stellar.   Just trying to be reasonable.   That's about 1 pound a week.  Honestly, half the loss will be in the first couple weeks, then it will get down to a half pound a week.  I've only done this a couple times and I like this because many of the same foods are consumed in smaller portions.  Sometimes I'll skip a meal so I can add on to another.   Like numbers people do is you make it a game.

 On Tuesday during my jog I decided to air it out for 1 mile.  I cranked up the big engine after 5 miles of easy running.  Not ignorant of how it works I took the rpm's up to the point were you feel like you'll go anaerobic.  Maybe this is called threshold pace, I don't know, but it allows you to set the Kentucky windage for the distance.  It was like old times experiencing the effort.  There is a bit of pain involved and you allow the brain to contrive ways to battle this.  The final result was an 8:41 mile.

 I'm not sure how pain management works.  What factors or influences help us put it aside. Recently I went back through some old clippings as the purge continues and came across this again.

 Mohawk High's cross country team defeated host Laurel 20-38 yesterday despite a school record-setting performance by Senior Dave Dehart of Laurel.

 Dehart toured the three-mile Green Meadows course in 15:20.

 I can honestly say I did tour the course on that day.  Perhaps one of the best runs I ever had.  But until a couple years ago this was largely forgotten.  My last dual meet run.  After graduating in the Spring there were too many influences in life to keep me in order in relation to running.  That's okay.  It motivates me a little bit to this day.  I'm just a running shaman slash bum.  Perhaps I need to lean on cranking up the big engine again.  

No comments:

Post a Comment