Saturday, March 4, 2017

That rabbit's dynamite

The other team was my first time around runners.  After the race I slipped on my Brooks Villanova's which had the yellow markings, not like the standard red markings on blue.  These were supplied by the school and replaced a pair of Rally Racers I had picked up at J.C. Penny's.  I noticed Heasley had what appeared like a pair of moon shoes on.  A pair of Nike's with the back heel flaired our wider than the shoe.  This had to be explored and soon I had a year's subscription to Runner's World which really introduced to the sport on a much wider scale...and you saw all the cool shoes.

Any who.  So we are on the bus back to our school when coach starts passing back the results.  Fred is holding court and telling stories to all us young pups.  I mean he is the guy.  A senior who has good wheels in the 880 and has actually dated girls.  He was hilarious and since I had somehow finished ahead of Fred I get to sit all the way in the back of the bus.  The results reach me, the last guy to see them and I see the score...Laurel 27 / Union 28.  Now I don't know a lot about many things, but I must have been the only guy associated with the team who read the introduction to CC pamphlet.  I yell up to Coach, "Hey Coach, why didn't you tell us we won?"  He replied, "What are you talking about?"  I said, "Low score wins in CC."  In which he replied, "Oh, I thought it was like football.  No wonder the other Coach kept shaking my hand."  We had won our first meet ever.  At the time if I knew we would go on to go 5 - 27 in 3 years we might have savored it a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment