Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Will it go around in circles

When running encompasses just going out for an hour jog about every day and then double or triple that most weekends, it doesn't seem like much to ask.  Pretty simple to manage.  When aspirations abound for some reason it becomes more of a hassle.  No matter if it is work, play, or personal stuff, it always seems we'll get ahead of it.  One can make it better.  Most times you just go do it.  That is and has to be the way for work most of the time.  On the personal side of things you have to march the line between serendipity and Black Sheep Squadron.  What is left after that you do is stuff.

I've been doing stuff for decades and it is real cool.  A lot of my stuff involves the act of running, but potentially even more time is spent thinking about running.  When I was younger it was baseball cards, but for whatever reason I think running a bunch.  And even though I don't have to draw a line in the sand, I do have to come to the realization that someone else has won.  Someone else has picked up whatever imaginary torch is there.  You passed the test long ago...you made the grade.  You are flying missions which do not exist and even more importantly there is really no need to put those racing flats on and conduct a two mile lightning session.

Look, Ice Age is always on the table.  I'm there to run the best I can that day.  That probably won't change for a couple more years.  If I just keep jogging 8-9 hours a week I'll finish fine.  The problem is I am now exploring or acting on things such as core, weight, rest, and even cross-training.  All so I can potentially run what they call better.  As much as I try and pull myself out of this I just can't.  All those items require head space to think about and act on and I am not someone who has free roaming brain space to manage these. 

Not to deceive anyone, but the cross training has been getting the dog out 3-4 times a week for a slow jog or walk.  This is maybe 10 miles a week, but frankly it is wearing me out.  I get in my sleep.  I'm sleeping by 7:00 - 7:30pm this time of year and up at 3:00 - 4:00am.  When we actually have daylight in the evening this changes.  I could blabber on, but the bottom line for me is just do what you've been doing with a few minor adjustments and leave the lightning rounds to the game shows.

No comments:

Post a Comment