Friday, January 25, 2019

Rosa’s Cantina

My parents are both gone now.  Though my parents were from the sticks they were both athletic.  Dad could do a standing back flip and had outstanding eye hand coordination.  To see a random guy in the 60s in a white t-shirt do a back flip seemed unusual.  My Mom was super competitive and though there were no sports for girls in high school, she was voted most athletic in her graduating  class of 1960.  She said no boy could out sprint her until high school age.  My parents encouraged sports and we played them.  Actually if I say so myself my brother and I did fairly well.  Our parents loved to watch us compete in sports and enjoyed discussing it with us.  I think for them it was an extension of not having the opportunity themselves.  Having attended the smallest class of school for sports was awesome because if you worked hard you played.  You knew everyone and it made things pull together well.  I liked running especially because you could actual see the results.

I am back in the area we grew up in.  It brings back memories.  My son just handed me a deer tag I filled out in 1980.  Not sure why Mom kept that, but she did.  My son and I just agreed that maybe we go deer hunting this year.  He’ll be 25 and I never took him hunting.  We grew up on it and basically ate wild game all winter.  It has been so long and believe me I feel it.  I’m going to have to make adjustments if I want to stay in this running game another 10 years.  Hard to believe, but I entered my sophomore year of college in the fall of 1980.  There always seems to be another good 10 years until there isn’t.

No comments:

Post a Comment