Saturday, May 18, 2019

Baa, Baa, Black Sheep

The big dance of 2019 has came and went.  I can state that I did finish.  It was a great day to run and the event was as usual top notch.

- Dewey on crew again was great.  My brother Bryan and sister Brenda came out from PA to take the event in.  They had a great time and thanks to Dewey for making the whole day come together.
- I had a bad patch from 22 to 28, but did recover well enough to get through Duffin (30.5 miles) in 5:09.
- Ran up Star Mountain okay, but about 2 miles past that the bottom came out.  The last 10 miles was particularly difficult as the last 9.7 took me 2:37 to finish.  Sixteen plus minutes a mile is slow, especially since I ran the last 2 miles a 12 minute pace.
- The take away's are this; not enough weekly base miles, too much electrolyte (needed 50% water, not 0%) the first 35 miles, and I need to start walking more hills.
- I finished my 18th in 9:44:44.  That is my second slowest out there.  Too early to pontificate about 2020.

Al's Run 8k is 9/14.  I'll be 58 by then.  I've sorta decided to try and work on running faster for a change.  There is time to retool.  There is no science or feel behind the 31:30 shape I'd like to achieve, other than it is a high end goal.  That's right about 6:20 mile pace for 8k.  That would also work out to sub 20:00 pace for a 5k.  Not sure I can come close to cashing that check, but the idea of not shooting for under 6:30 pace seems hardly worth trying.  The training projector will have elements (in my mind) of Ingrid Kristiansen based training I read about years ago.  I have none of the info, just a compromised mind of what appealed to me years ago.  Obviously I can't train the way she did, but I can pursue the 3-4 things my mind retained that I liked...plus some really slow recovery running.

The thing that sticks in my mind from last year at Al's is that I went through the first mile which is largely downhill in 7:05.  I just couldn't crack up the oxygen, or get any flow going.  Old people need sub race pace work as well.  Yes sir, yes sir, 3 bags full!

No comments:

Post a Comment