Friday, July 5, 2019

I will be your night in shining armor

A bit of banter this week amongst a few fellow runners about a possible on-the-fly 100 miler.  I was told to put it together and a few hardy folks would show up.  My ambition is there, but I'm more of a let's start here and end here.  All the stuff in between is on you.  But hey, maybe that is all that's required.  I had my Ice Age Trail book out (Thanks Dean!) and there are a lot of options.  Of course a date would need selected.  Let me know you finished over the weekend and I'll put a list together of finishers.  I could come up with some sort of hand out afterwards...or not.  The thought is in my head.  There is at least one other reason to do it, but I have to massage the brain a bit and see if I'm worthy to be trusted with the notion.  I do know people would show and people would go about as far as they wanted.  Some would indeed finish.  As is typical, I'm sure a few other hardy folks would be out supporting and checking out the small band of knuckleheads.  It would be in the latter part of 2019.

So the idea of Big's wasn't released from the brain.  It takes on activity outside of my normal list of things I do or do not particularly want to do.  Most reading this know the typical crap, but if you are new to life and life past 50 years old it is along the lines of laundry, fishing, work, grocery shopping, work, mowing grass, work, weeding the garden, walk dog, work, grocery shopping, work, painting projects, burn stuff, fishing, work.  A true master can select the one item that is on the like to do list.  Of course I didn't list running because you already know running is sorta what this blog is about most times.  My big brain told me as I laid in bed at 11:00pm putting up with the fireworks, that here are some great ideas on how to consider training for Big's.  In no particular order:

-Consider doing 12 hours at Robert's event witch is a flat 1 mile trail loop on 8/31.  Aim for 50 miles.  Run 5 miles the first two loops and 4 miles the last 10 loops.  Any extra time left on the hour I wait until the next hour starts.
-Consider doing all of Tina and Angela's What the Funk 80k through the night on 8/10.  Practice covering the distance with power jogging and emotional rescue walking.
-Actually practice 4.167 mile loops every hour as the race has on select weekends.
-Randomly practice 3.5 mile loops in 50 minute bites during the work week to mimic process.  Best when wife leaves for work at 3:45am days. I could squeeze in 4 circuits in 3:10 before work.
-Occasionally risk confrontation by wife by making use of middle of the night can't sleep and putting shoes on and running a 4.167 mile circuit. 

Looks like work to me, but it helped me go back to sleep around midnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment