Sunday, March 27, 2022

Next to me

 Friday night my stomach was upset.  With temps in the 20s and winds at 20-30 mph there was no doubt my resolve was being tested.  The plan was to just get in 25 miles.  No goal pace, no specific place, just show me the baby.  

 I wanted to start no later than 5am, but I was in bathroom mode.  It was a good thing I was going solo as this might end up being a beat down.  Thoughts of moving to Sunday, or just doing 3 hours both days made sense.  But I made myself a deal.  Get in the 25 and a Big Mac and fries awaits.  I quickly hustled out the door at 7am.

 The initial plan was to run at Camp Whitcomb by the house and return for refreshments every 5 miles.  I came back after 6 and after a crunch and snack I bolted. As the second tour unfolds I already know I’m going to move this from 5 to 4 segments.  However around 10 miles my watch was shouting I was Betty Whiting it out here.  Energy was low so after a few Starship Enterprise allocation of resources moves I had remembered from Star Trek I rambled into the house at 13.3 miles.

 Coffee.  Twisted Steel.  Liberty Valence.  Chaka Khan.

 Out I went.  Did a 2 mile road extension first to completely fool my brain.  Now I’m over 15 miles.  Less than 10 to go.  I round the boardwalk across the marsh to see two mink coming right at me.  Amazed, they got the hell out of the way as I bone chipped across.  Now on the top acreage of the camp I am over 18 and think about getting back for the final top off.  But I’m running better than I have all day so I just keep extending sections.  Occasionally a 1 mile road extension outside the camp is done on the rural roads and then I dive back into the shelter of the wind.

 I’m never more than 1.5 - 2.0 miles from the crib, so I just stay out there.  I have the perception that the reserves are being compromised for tomorrow, but I also know flying along without anything mile to mile is freeing.  I commit to at least a marathon and end the run at 26.3 miles.  11:49 pace about half trail and half the macadam like road surfaces used in rural areas.  It is another benchmark run that points to reaching the finish line at Ice Age.

No comments:

Post a Comment