Thursday, September 8, 2022

The grind

 The miles covered continue to be very slow.  It is not lost on me that this is concerning if you want to finish long races under the cutoffs.  I haven't averaged under 13:00 a mile in 2 weeks.  This does not make me sad, but it does make me aware the times have changed for me.

 There is an established 50k near here in early October.  There is a desire to sign up, to get out there, and maybe meet a few new folks.  Then the rational side says what for?  It is almost like a complete waste of a weekend.  Spend hours on the adventure on Saturday and suffer on Sunday because there is a mountain of other stuff to do.

 If you are an aspiring long distance runner, the best advice I can pass on is get used to being tired.  The world keeps spinning.  Yes there is family, job, and the other life commitments, but people aren't going to let you off the hook on the other tangible items.  There are pets, and chores, social activities and untold things which spring up.  If you want to run all the time then you better not let it curb your enthusiasm.  People close to you don't normally give a rats rump about running.  Show me the baby.

 But the idea of just getting out is enjoyable for me.  My mind will continue the what if I could just get this thing figured out so I could get a few more long events in.  The reason walking more is happening is because power jogging high 11's or 12's tires me out.  Never did I realize what an effort is required to get to 50 miles a week covered.  I'm back to the forget about the time it takes per mile.  Go free your mind every day as you have for decades and take the questions from neighbors who see you at odd times and places shuffling around.  

No comments:

Post a Comment