Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Bullet Proof

You better be to finish the Sawtooth 100 and I am coming to terms that perhaps I am not.  Ran 27 with Brother Grub Monday and through 20 I was feelin' solid, but the last few miles waxed me.  I basically was useless the rest of the day.  BG is going back out tonite for night bonus miles, so he appears willing to become bullet proof to coin his words.

Yet, I haven't written it off.  I think I'll go for 13+ tomorrow and see how this goes.  One thing I came to realize is I can't really taper much for Voyageur if Sawtooth is looming.  My biggest hang-up is how does one move along for like 30+ hours?  I just can't get my head around this and I will have to if I line up on 9/9.

Of course I'm 50 on 9/11, so perhaps the Superior 50 is in order.  Perhaps this would give me a peak to the future.

I came to terms after my only 100 mile finish in 2003 that I am no 100 mile guy.  Fifty miles is a solid effort and I can handle pain fairly well, but I don't see how you get through Sawtooth without major life ponderings?  I want one of those jackets though.

2 comments:

  1. I've spent $1500 on that jacket and don't have one yet, though I know I could finish the race now. It's purely a mental game once you go through Crosby-Manitou.

    How bad could it go?
    http://stevequick.blogspot.com/2008/09/2008-superior-sawtooth-100-mile-race.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saxophonist Charlie Parker once said, “You’ve got to learn your instrument. Then you practice, practice, practice. And then, when you finally get up there on the bandstand, forget all that and just wail.”

    Mallach used this quote for his Swan Crest 100 report and it really struck me.

    Sawtooth is one of those races thats daunting enough that you can really obsess about it, target your training for it and plan for all the contingencies ... but in the end you just have to wail and hope it comes out right.

    Wail, Double, Wail!!!!

    ReplyDelete