Saturday, May 16, 2020

Kentucky windage

Yesterday was a rewarding exercise in that I learned the reason I run slow.  My blood counts are down considerably.  At this point in time I don't know what the overall picture is, but the good news is I am now totally going to be Joe Hendersoning it.  Back in high school I read his book, "Run Gently, Run Long" and it made sense to me.  Through the years I have trained hard at times, but always enjoyed running more when it involved nothing more than the easy freedom of movement.

I noted my bit of disappointment in only covering 60 miles a month ago on the 12 hour virtual run.  Based on what training was recently done it made no sense to wash out early.  Last week on our venture around Lake Geneva it was a bit of work for what is typically an easier pace.  I was clearly the ball and chain in my mind though it was a good run for all.  I ran less this week because of tiredness.  My though process is I would have a little more zip on Tuesday and Thursday running with the Big Kick Track Club at 10:30 pace, but it was more work than I wanted it to be.  Now I know why.  There is a little less juice in the juicy fruit.

I took Friday off.  Today I had a great run down to the trail intersection at QEK and then jumped on the Ice Age towards the old Funk road parking lot.  Along the way I remember a tale told to me by a legendary Drake graduate of a one mile trail that goes up over the muscle ridge and circles back.  I keenly investigated and made all the proper navigation moves to get back.  There wasn't a soul out there.  Only the occasional  flaking of spring tree buds wafting down on me.  I did spook a big doe.  Evidently she saw the size of me lumbering down the trail in my $25 dollar pair of Avia shoes from Walmart and wanted no part of that.  Sound wisdom.  I have chucks of deer in my stool bigger than her.  Eventually one pours out near the bugline and after a few add on segments I completed 11.1 miles in 2:04:51.

That's the plan for now.  Just jog with what the day gives me.  Save some for tomorrow.  Learn to just make time disappear.  "You going huntin'?"  "Only if'n I lose something."

No comments:

Post a Comment