Monday, December 7, 2020

Have you seen the size of me

Some time ago I watched a piece on Jimmy Connors. His mother was his tennis coach. I recall as a youngster coming up, she only allowed him to practice/train like 10-20 minutes a day. The idea was to keep him hungry to come back and do as much as he could in that short period of time. There is something to learn in there. A year ago I advised myself that I would go out and pile up miles. My deal was that I would go as slow as I needed. This would include walking a fair bit at times. This year will yield close to 3,500 miles for me. Even with a knee rehab. I have also went to a new drug therapy as the former chemo type meds I was taking I became resistant to. The good news is my plattlets are in a much better range, but my hematocrit has been lower than its probably been my whole life. Again in the past month that has started to get up to about 38% so I feel a bit better running wise. All the slow moving has been enjoyable. It is a huge time commitment as 10 miles can be a 2 hour investment. This means going out twice a day. Just recently I began thinking about Ice Age. Typically in May, it was cancelled twice last year. It is difficult for me to use the just get a finsh language. When one is blazing 11:20 miles it is difficult not to drift off into the bizzaro world of dreaming how to break 8:00 out there one more time. Now look, I am not looking for false glory here. It is a real question I ask myself. As easy as it is to have virtually no running goals, I have been through similar scenarios 2-3 times in the past. Things can on occasion line up for me. I just don't control when good things happen (or challenging times), but I believe it is time to start busting away at the edges. If you 5 people who read this are up for it, I am going to start chipping away at new training. I'll write about it here. I have responded to virtually any training I have ever done. If one ran 9:30 pace at Ice Age (including all stops) this yields a 7:55. There is a very very slim chance this would ever happen. The thing is unless you try nothing good ever matriculates. I already train about 14 hours a week so I just need to adjust some paces. I will go against conventional wisdom and run tired all the time. I will still be the bum in last position in all jogging sessions, but I do not care. I will be working on increasing my working pace a couple times a week. When the time comes I will start transitioning to appropriate paces on the trails. I will know what is appropriate and what those paces should be for that day. It's in the vault.

No comments:

Post a Comment