Saturday, October 8, 2022

I can see for miles

 Another Saturday and again in the whole hour not another person, boat, or kayak spotted anywhere.  So beautiful to be outside seeking adventure.   What is the reason people do not want to use the magnificent resources around them very often?  No different in Wisconsin.  Spent many hours on the backroads and in the woods with very few other people. 

 Still unable to jog with this pinched nerve in my lower back.  Still getting in 2+ hours daily of light exercise.  Started some light stretching.  Seems to be helping some, to early to tell.

 I spent the morning kayak looking to learn and observe birds.  Here are my notes from today.

1. Limpkin - perched right on Wayne's boat dock.

2. Blue Heron - standing in Wayne's yard.

3. Great Egret - standing in the lilly pads.

4. Whistling Ducks - flying overhead. 

5. Anhinga - perched in a tree.

6. Red Wing Blackbird - heard the call first and then saw in the trees.

7. Sandhill Crane - three flew across the lake in front of me.  They were not bellowing as usual.

8. White Ibis - flew overhead and across the lake.

9. ******* - working on this one.  Always in this area on the water.  Some type of duck, coot, or gullinale. 

10. ******* - another new one.  Smaller bird.  Got a good listen to the call.  They were a pair.

11. Belted Kingfisher - heard first and then saw in flight.  Offered a spectacular air show yesterday.   About 150 yards away from me he/she was hovering above the water.  The dive was made and apparently successful as it bolted.

12. Hawk - flew in front of me about 80 yards away and landed on the corner of Bill's house.  Most likely a red shouldered hawk, but would not rule out the possibility of being a snail kite as apple snails are plentiful here.  They feed almost exclusively on those.  That's why I see so many Limpkin. 

I enjoy this time.  I may start taking my phone which has the Cornell Labs bird call identifier.  Maybe I am old school, but that seems like cheating.  I'm going to definitely cave as it would be a huge help.  

No comments:

Post a Comment