Saturday, March 25, 2023

Big guys in two's

 So I did light out today.  No water, no stops, just get after 2 hours.  I clipped through the opener in 9:11 and was down to 8:41 by mile 3.  It was aggressive,  but I was willing to see how it would pan out.  Between miles 4 and 5 it was apparent I bit of more than I could chew.  I tried to find the rhythm, but by mile 6 the pace edged into the low 9's.  

 Still trying to hit the workout, I tossed the shirt at halfway and kept on trucking big mama style.  By mile 9 I made the decision to barrel through 10 and kick back to reality.  I was sub 9 average through 9 and hit 10 in 1:30:18 before easing back so I could fight another day.

 Finished at 13.1 in 2:05:24 for 9:34 pace overall.   Cutting the big engine off was the best thing to do.  Three weeks from now there will be an opportunity to get after it again.  

 7 weeks to the big dance.  In an attempt to gauge a possible finishing goal, it is not out of the realm to consider a 10:30 currently.   That is probably top end for me.  Sure, there is time left to train, but the last 5 years have taught me I just can't suck it up the last 15 miles because I want to.  The toughest thing is over estimating the ability to want to start going after people after halfway.  That just happens.  Then it turns out a bit like today.  

No comments:

Post a Comment