Friday, November 24, 2017

Call me Al

Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest


A line from The Boxer that appeared in my head as I power jogged down the roads of middle America today.  It is deer season and though I have not hunted in years I miss the complete enjoyment I had as a young man hunting with family.  Driving to meet friends at an annual Thanksgiving park run yesterday, an eight point powered across the road in front of me and simply looked fabulous doing it.  I have no other way to describe it.  To me hunting has many similarities to running, from the act of the goal to the other participants.  Keep it simple applies to both endeavors.


I don't keep up with the current world class runners scene, but I certainly was aware who Shalane was who won the New York City Marathon.  I'm blown away by the dedication to the sport and all the elements that go along with it besides training.  At 36 this is a major win and I learned from the tube that she writes about eating properly.  This is not a new revelation to me, but slowly the concepts of healthy living might have to become practiced on my part.  Four years ago I gave up tobacco.  Three years ago I stopped drinking alcohol.  Two years ago I made a conscious effort to drop 6-7 pounds.  I have gotten back to my hot fudge and mashed potato diet and I'm afraid I need to re-evaluate what gets put inside of me...even if it is the counting calories method.  I just need the freedom to still eat what I want to eat.  The last piece is some type of core activities.  I just hate the way that sounds.  I prefer calisthenics. 


I'm still tired and beat up from JFK.  I ran 4.7 on the trails yesterday and did a slow 5.3 miles today at 11:08 pace.  As much as I need to become a full time experience chaser, I keep pulling myself back in.  Looking at races, developing training wishes, and pondering what if scenarios just won't go away.  Like Ron Daws wrote similarly years ago...I'm shooting at 2018 with 1970's ammunition.  The problem is I do half the work much slower, look like the stay puffed marshmallow man, and still think if I take a few more days off I should race well.  That's the plan anyway.

1 comment:

  1. This is why I read your blog: "I'm shooting at 2018 with 1970's ammunition. The problem is I do half the work much slower, look like the stay puffed marshmallow man, and still think if I take a few more days off I should race well." True. True. :-)

    ReplyDelete