Saturday, November 25, 2017

On any Sunday

I remember reading in 1975 that Pre had died.  I was not a runner yet, but I was aware of who he was.  What I recall reading the same day in the paper (I'm probably mixing dates up) was a guy in Michigan was shut down for producing t-shirts which said, Southeast Asian War Games...2nd place.  I never forgot both those events.  Shorter and Pre to an extent were part of who we wanted to be.  Everything was sports related when you were a kid and runners, skiers, and swimmers were not excluded.  We knew who Stan Smith and Rod Laver were.  Shirley Babashoff and Mark Spitz, Spider Sabich and Franz Klammer, Malcolm Smith and Mert Lawwill, etc. 


Watching the Ken Burns documentary on Vietnam for the second time through.  The 2nd place reference sort of finally clicked in.  Vietnam was a big deal to my Mom who graduated high school in 1960 and had me the following year.  Guess who participated as George McGovern in the mock election at school in 1972?  It was me and I was stomped in the results as well.  If you have not watched the 10 episode series I encourage you to do so.  For me the historical perspective from 1858 forward was good to know.  I was also quite taken back how each President at the time came to the decisions they did.


When I ventured into long distance running in 1976, I had no idea at the time I would still be running.  If I could offer any advice to future runners it would be this.


1. Run consistently.  Everyday if you can.
2. Let the main thing be the main thing.  Have a decent pair of shoes and go figure it out.
3. Please realize what you put into it is what you get out of it.
4. Learn to be able to run 10 miles at the drop of a hat.  If you can then you can do about anything.



2 comments:

  1. Spider Sabich!? Man, you cover all the bases. (Well, you did leave out Cindy Nelson and the Mahre brothers, but whatever, I was a ski nerd).
    THIS is why I read your blog:
    1. Run consistently. Everyday if you can.
    2. Let the main thing be the main thing. Have a decent pair of shoes and go figure it out.
    3. Please realize what you put into it is what you get out of it.
    4. Learn to be able to run 10 miles at the drop of a hat. If you can then you can do about anything.

    That's it. Only thing I would add is: it has to hurt sometimes, but don't hurt yourself--rest when you need it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It even hurts sometimes when we don’t want it to! You doing the 50 mile at Ice Age this year?

    ReplyDelete