Tuesday, December 25, 2018

One Tin Soldier

Merry Christmas.

It snowed about an inch over night and I can truly say it was a great morning to get a 10.5 miler in from the house up around Loew Lake.  Outside of a few people and their dogs it was me matriculating through the forest and country roads.  I picked it up a few stretches in the last half and hit 9:04 and 9:08 miles.  Have to get the heart rate up there occasionally.  It actually felt pretty good if you can consider that "legging it out" territory.  Grizzer bears pilgrim, grizzer bears.

Christmas is here at the house today.  Brad and Emily (the kids) are coming in today as well as my sister-in-law Suzi and mother-in-law Iris.  Same tribe as Thanksgiving.  Pizza.  That's the main menu and then on to hand and foot.  A card game best played with six people and six decks of cards.  It is my mother-in-law's favorite game and probably Emily as well.  It will be a good day.  Even though I'm off tomorrow I'll be the working class hero and work a big chunk of it.  My bad.

I think the next three days I'll just jog around with the dog and take it easy.  I'd like to get the 50k in this coming Saturday if I can.  Just roll through it.  No need to get the hackles up.  Yesterday running easy with the Lapham Legends group I was instructed about biking as a workout option.  I'm supposed to look up a gravel bike.  I'll take a look, but I'm not about spending tons of dough on a bike.  I haven't even bought a serious head lamp or hydration pack yet.  I just want something cheap I can use the Vulcan mind meld on and work the crap out of it. 

I'm considering thinning out this squirrel population by going down to the little woods here and tuning up the .22.  I haven't skinned one of these out in scores.  Of course I'd have to buy a license and the season is over in February.  It's like fishing.  Unless you get a mess of them it's kind of a pain to only have one or two.  I'm not sure why I'm inclined to get back to the things I enjoyed as a youth, but much of it is to just get out of the house.  Watching reruns of the Rockford Files and watching chess matches on my phone can't be all that good for me no matter how right it feels.

No comments:

Post a Comment