Wednesday, December 26, 2018

We have ignition

In my spare time I butter finger around and read accounts of the Big Backyard Ultra.  I'm trying to get a sense of how people were pacing, how they may have prepared, and what needed to happen in the time they are back at the start.  I've acquired a few decent training ideas.  It goes without saying the last man standing format makes it intriguing and brutal.  I don't personally see any benefit from spending much time punishing myself with sleep deprivation training prior to such an event.  I mean I would probably run at times, and attempt certain training functions that would touch on foregoing normal sleep, but I'm not sure I could stay up just to stay up.  If anything it will already prove what I know about myself when tired.  Go to sleep.  I'm just going to make a big mental note for the event if I get in and leave it at that.  Okay that's done.

My friend Andrea asked to join her and Dave Schmidt as a group to sign up for Superior Sawtooth 100 lottery for September, 2019.  Andrea if reading this I am going to pass.  It would be 6 weeks from Big's if I get in and I want to be fresh as possible.  I'm looking at doing a longer training run every 2-3 weeks starting now.  I mean, why not play around with the training in such a manner that you will be in the race on 10/19/19?  It will also be my de facto training for the Ice Age 50 in May.  I've already told the big gang of 2-3 people I know that I'm going to put a bit of starch in some training for Ice Age.  I'm planning on leaning into it a bit this year.  I mean I can hold my breath the last 5 miles, so why not crack open the oxygen biofuels early and bring down the thunder?  Do the right thing, do the wrong thing, but do something.  Either way it ends up I know Bill Hutchinson will be all for it!

Check this out today.  Twenty push-ups and sit-ups and a one minute plank.  I have to start somewhere.  The dog and me stumbled around for 62 minutes and covered 4.6 gentle miles.  I'm having a tough time walking for training.  Bums me out.  Thing is if you go to a race and you have to go slower, or even way slower than normal it will probably require walking skills (pace knowledge, muscle groups, wear patterns, etc.).  I'm nothing without my choppers, but even I know you better practice going slow, or pay the price.  Of course you have to practice Juno 1 so you can live stream efficiencies and just basically tear a$$ around when needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment