Monday, June 10, 2019

Man overboard

The idea that some type of Ingrid Kristiansen training model was going to be employed must have been a cruel joke on myself.  I could not lace my shoes up at this point and claim similarly to any functional training model.  Not even the famous HS plan from cross-country of go run around the lake a couple times and we will finish up with some sprints.  That at least did not wear us out.  It was more of a pond anyway.  Which brings me up to a larger point.  Either I never listened, or more than likely no one ever advised me on how to race.  We all just blew out to the front and hung as long as we could.  The last 75% of the race was carried out in deep agony and senseless thoughts of doing better the next time...repeatedly...for years.  Of course in college it was a different story.  You ran the same way, but it did not yield any front running.  I did lead through the mile in what was as I remember my last collegiate cc race, but that is another story.  My only regret was not continuing on as far as I could of which may have been another quarter mile or so.

So I’ve always been a bum as far as running goes.  It is and always has been a fun part of life I would never trade.  It has been an adventure and hopefully I will still find joy getting out for a race here and there.  Lately I have had typical movement issues that come along with age.  I can’t help looking at my dog blast out of the starting blocks after a squirrel only to peter out or blow up after what amounts to less than 10 seconds of fury.  It’s obvious as she nears her 13th birthday that the brain is still wired to will the body to damn near get the squirrel, but reality sets in one neighbor’s yard over that they are just toying with you.  They are playing chess while you are playing checkers.  The thrill is still there until it isn’t.  Making the transition for me is a known fact.  I just am not a guy to go to swim, bike, or ski.  I’m more walk, frisbee, softball, or fishing.

None-the-less, I am going to try and get a couple quicker workouts in a week.  Another run of 10 miles or so and the rest just easy runs.  Probably need to have the hip looked at, but as with most all other ailments I try and figure them out myself.  Not sure it even is the hip, but it seems to migrate the pain to my lower back.  I’ve tried every odd position I can think of to try and get a bead on the area to no avail.  Is there a position I can get to the trouble spot.  So far...no.

No comments:

Post a Comment