Monday, December 9, 2019

Chunks of guys

During the first season, it is hard to recall what we actually did for training.  We met about 2 weeks prior to the first meet and then raced twice a week.  Being a new team, we had no weekend invites to attend so we were on our own on the weekends.  Actually, us not knowing any better was probably the best action.  Race a couple times a week to get used to how all that worked and then a few days of easy miles with sprints thrown in.  As mentioned before most of us operated at a high level of activity outside of any sport events.  We biked everywhere,  always had pick-up games, and every free study hall we were in the gym playing floor hockey.  Every once in awhile we played dodge ball just to loosen up the wing a little bit.  The main goal was not to catch one in the conch at close range.

So I'm still daydreaming here on how to train and execute at a last man standing event.  I'm off today so I'm working on getting up the nerve to actually enter the event here in Wisconsin for April 3rd.  I want to get in the arena, primarily because at 58 one starts to see the light at the end of the tunnel may be turned off due to indifference.  I don't believe my biggest challenge is in the training.  I'm just not any good at anything over 8-10 hours and that's probably generous.  Off course this is part of the draw.  The other item is reaction to lack of sleep.  You really can't practice this.  This event starts at 5:30pm so you have to get through the first night.  I am sleeping by 8pm most nights and it is not uncommon for me to be asleep already by 7pm this time of the year.  Yes...I am up at the crack of nuts.  That's where all my best training slots are.

But this might be an advantage for me.  Many multi day participants of note in various sports have noted that a 5-10 minute nap can be very helpful.  Since you have to be at the starting line every 60 minutes, one would be very lucky to get this long of shut eye, but it is possible I'm told if you are quick enough and tired enough to go to sleep.  As I will probably be tired due to my current routine, perhaps I can get a few micro naps in the first night.  For those who choose to marshal through without any sleep it will be difficult to do during the day.  In this event that is the rub.  It will not get dark the second night about 26+ hours after the initial start.  How many people are going to still be standing?  Probably not this guy, but I would rather be the person who grab a few winks earlier.

One other concern is oldness.  We all tighten up and get creaky after many hours of running.  For me the issue is it seems to be multiplied in specific areas.  Once you get off kilter it really plays havoc on the posture, back, and hip region.  Heck this happens working in the yard.  I've looked and there is no silver bullet for this.  That's why my training plan is all about running/walking slow to mimic the pace and piling up miles.  It's the only current way I know to mimic reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment