Sunday, December 15, 2019

What brings you up so high

The plug has been pulled and I am officially signed up for the Big Hill Bonk event.  This is a last man standing race and the winner does gain entry via golden ticket to Big's Backyard Ultra.  Now I have no allusions of grandeur that I might be that last person.  I am a reasonable sot.  The mindset is around being in the arena.  You know, out there slugging it out doing the best I can do because at the end of the day I can certainly point to things not in my favor.  We all can.  That is the attraction. There is also the fact that you never know when the adventure bus makes the last stop.

Here is where I am at with this thing.  Now granted, there are many items one has to consider before the initial starter pistol cracks.  I only think about those in passing for now because the event is April 3rd.  I have a couple months to start chewing on strategies, fueling, weather, sleep, gear, etc.  My concern is getting my body beat into shape to keep on trucking big mamma status.  When I moved to Florida in 1984 and drove through the night, somewhere around the GA/FL border at 1am in the morning I saw a bumper sticker.  That sticker said, "If you don't like Hank Williams you can kiss my a$$.  That's how my training is going to be. 

When training for a marathon I found the concept of knowing exactly what you should be capable of running per mile the correct strategy for me.  The training is hard; grueling actually.  Running hard requires a lot of recovery when you are continually dialing it up.  That's mostly why we train so we can learn to run and train faster.  Well I ain't doing any of that.  This process is learning to run slower.  I still like to know where I should be per mile, but learning to pace yourself to run slow is also challenging.  But if you are going to be in an event that requires moving until no one else is then
you have to learn to be a bulwark gliding through the seas.  You better be able to take a pounding.

In summary this means I will attempt to cover many miles slowly.  I'm working on running strategies in MY MIND each day.  Because my back/hip could make me cash this all in early, I'm going to attempt to fix this by trying to create a reproducible (Thanks for the verbiage Clem) effort everyday.  I feel like I have many more ignoramus comments to make, but I will share those down the line with my trusted 6 readers later.

100.6 miles for the week.  Back a bit tender. 

3 comments:

  1. I am one of the six that enjoy your style of writing. Long may you run.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to hear Dave. Hope you are able to get out there and get your runs in. Any chance you are coming out to do Big Hill Bonk?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Big Hill Bonk sound like a fun adventure. But after 40 years of running 5k to 50 mile races, I am focus on road mile races for 2020.

    ReplyDelete