Monday, December 23, 2019

Magic carpets made of steel

Somewhere in that first season at our home course about 25-30 of us took off across the golf course.  We wore sprinters spikes back in the day for stuff like this.  Those fairways were crisp and clean.  By now we had literally ran against a couple of the best teams in the state.  I say this because we still had no idea what each new team we faced had for runners.  On this little adventure not too many were ahead of me after the first half mile.  Another mile goes by and it is basically 2 of us and 2 of them spread out by maybe 40 yards.  I don't recall anything suddenly changing, but by 2 miles I found myself in the lead for the first time in my life.  Thoughts of securing a win for the first time ever entered my mind, but at the same time I was fearful it would suddenly be snatched away.  This was all new to me and I ran on in fear.  At each turn I was looking back to see what the lay of the land was.  On our course after the final turn you ran 400 yards straight to the finish.  It was slightly uphill the whole way and I felt if I had the lead by then I would win.  Nothing dramatic to report.  I continued on without a challenge and won the race.  Even better for us is we secured our second victory of the year.  Maybe we could be better than we thought with a little work.  It never entered my mind before the season that I would enjoy this as much as I did. 

Fast forward to today and I can say that getting out multiple times a day is hard on me.  The easy nature of the pace and workout is not difficult, but the oldness of the body is apparent.  Still hoping to get slower and eventually cover more weekly miles at a pace I feel I need to zero in on the day.  Some days I get stiff and it is uncomfortable.  Perhaps the body can adjust.  I understand there are several better ways to train than this.  If I stepped out of my body and looked at me I would advise me totally different.  I also can't step out of my body because if I could I would step into someone else's and run the crap out of it.  Kind of like the Vulcan mind meld.  Not sure what the end game is other than I have stated before.  Pile up miles when I can and a big taper.  Life doesn't stop for stuff like this.  Every day can be a kaleidoscope of work and events that others deem more important than climbing into your brain and leaning into the bitter cold dark mornings.  Playing Green Grass and High Tides on memory only helps for tiny amounts of the continuum.  At some point there has to be satisfaction in touching the orange sign way up through the woods at the top of the hill 4 miles away and then turning for home.  Your worst enemy then becomes yourself as you think up another mini adventure you can add to this run.  In the end it is best to get back.  Not because it is the healthiest or best idea, but because in my little piece of America I have a job.  Besides I need to save a piece of myself for the evening if possible.  That's the joy of dog ownership. 

82.5 miles for the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment