4.2 @ 11:56 pace. Struggled the last half. I know why. Gonna have to make an adjustment. My back is still an issue, but two separate stretches are keeping me in the game for now.
The wife has Cat Stevens playing. Pleasant bonus.
To motivate myself I think I need to start pondering race goals either real or imagined. One adjustment I made is abandoning walking for brief stretches inside my running. Takes forever to cover any sort of distance. I still walk some every day to burn calories and keep limber.
So the two faux events would obviously be the Ice Age 50 mile and a road marathon. It motivates me to train and then analyze what I am doing and how this would map over these distances. I’m just starting back running so for now the goal times would be 11:00 and 4:00. That’s 13:12 pace on trails and about 9:09 pace on road respectively.
My last Ice Age was in 2023 with an 11:02. My last marathon was Lakefront in 2015 in 3:06. Pipe dreams.
For Ice Age I’d look at a 48/52 split which is a 5:16/5:44 split. 12:38/13:45 pacing. That’s an aggressive split, one that would take a lot of work.
So for me that’s getting my everyday training pace to about 10:15 minimum on pavement. I don’t generally take days off unless I have to. The volume would need to approach 65 miles a week and I would run the same volume every day. I would probably only do 3 long runs of like 22 - 26 - 30. Those would be trail. Mostly everything else on pavement because that works for me.
For grins I searched for aggressive 50 mile trail race training for a 65 year old. Puff the Magic Dragon advice. Like Frank Shorter said years ago, “It’s not all good looks and a secret recipe.” People are soft. And I am as well!
Time to change that.
No comments:
Post a Comment