Saturday, September 1, 2012

2 mile lightning

That's what you called in when you lit it up the first couple miles in the day.  Now-a-days it's all about pace control...at least for me.

Two weeks to Al's (8k) and I ventured to the track for the first time this season for a 5k pace run.
Last year I ran an 18:26.  I went out well today, but somewhat under control.  I can just sense what 6 pace is.  First 1600m in 5:57 and feeling okay.  Tried to stick with the pace, looking at the watch every 800m.  Through the next 1600m in another 5:57 and felt much better at this point compared to last year.  I moved on and it wasn't to the last 3 laps that it started to become hard work.  That's about 2 - 2.5 laps ahead of how I felt last yeat.  Third 1600m in 5:51 and ran the last 200m in :38 for a 18:23 run.  I'll put that in the bank, the calculator said it was 5:55 a mile pace.

Going to continue with a few more pace runs, rest and hopefully do a bit better than last year at Al's.
I've been primarily doing 4 mile tempos twice a week at 6:40s to 7:10 at about 80% effort.  It seems to have paid off.  I did three treadmill run of about 2.5 miles at 5:55 - 6:05 so I had the feeling I could do what I did today.  I'm about 175 lbs., so if I can get to 170 I should be good to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment