Sunday, July 23, 2017

He's a sort of athletic Beatle

After five weeks of pounding away I grew tired.  I am still somewhat enthusiastic about getting out, but the grand mileage experiment has halted for now.  Consecutive weeks of 70, 73.3, 77.0, 80.2, and 83.0 in the heat of the summer (with extra gear on often) tuckered me out.  Regardless, it gives me a good base to work on my next phase of whatever it is I want to do.  Which if I'm honest at this point is dial it down for Al's Run (8k) and see if I can possibly sniff 6:20 miles.  That's not a typo...it has come to that...and that is the HIGH end goal.  Last years debacle produced a 34:32 which was a disaster after the 31:55 in 2015.  The 6:20 goal gets me in around 31:30.  I pretty much know what training I'm going to do...I just get tired of reading about all the limitations I have to consider.  I'm guilty of probably working harder than I should and not resting enough, but it pains me to think 3 x 1 mile workouts, or 6 or 7 halves is going to lay waste to me.  With 8 weeks away I am partially unwilling to follow a two easy day and one hard day regiment.  I just took a couple easier weeks of 47.0 and 51.5 miles so I'm coming in a bit fresher.

After Al's Run it will be 9 weeks to the JFK 50 mile.  During Al's run training I'm not going to attempt to keep up with the long runs.  I can't do all that any longer.  I might get near 2 hours a couple times, but that is it.  I'd prefer to stay down by 1:30 for distance runs, or I won't be able to get adequate speed efforts under my belt.  After Al's (September 16th) I will immediately bat out a longer effort of 4 hours.  Then the Glacial Trail 50k is October 8th and I'll probably run 5:30 there.  Then at the very end of October I'll sneak in my last long run.  I have not filled in the rest of the voids.  Let me see how Al's goes.  I plan on running hard at JFK so I'll try and lather together the speed I hopefully have accomplished around a thin shell of over distance runs. 

If anyone has training theories/ideas please present them here.  All four of you that read this.

3 comments:

  1. Wait. There are three others? Yinz better chime in. :-)
    DD you are a rock. A freaking ambitious and inspired rock. I have no wisdom and even less experience in pushing the performance envelope in the 5th decade. I'm just rooting for you.
    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're maintaining better than I am; no advice here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep preparing myself to make the statement that any sort of races I do will be solely for fun. I'm not currently capable. Otherwise why I am out here running?

    ReplyDelete