Tuesday, July 4, 2017

Riding the clutch

The past week I can't help notice that folks jog by me looking as if they felt like getting a few miles in.  They have all the appropriate gear on.  Not super lean and mean, but they are getting in some aerobic work on a regular basis.  Problem is I am running and it perplexes me.  The Nova SS days with a 396 are forever gone.  I have the straight 250.

I banged out 11 today at a moderate effort and it yielded 8:51 pace.  The days I could stand on my head and spit nickels and run a couple minutes...heck one minute a mile faster have been hidden forever.  Jammed in some place I'll never reach, tighter than a thumb up a pigs nose.  I guess part of the reason I run ultras is piling up miles is useful if you want to quasi compete at 50 miles.  I know I can only expect modest times and that's okay.  At least I feel like I'm doing the homework.

Also, I never had 396 like wheels...ever.  But the comparison is real.  All in a perfectly legal and binding sense.

2 comments:

  1. Nice job ratcheting up the mileage. I'm back to feeling "normal" and have upped my mileage to nearly 60. Might be time to take it up a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is much easier when throwing in two a days as you know. I'm still unclear what the ultimate purpose or plan of all this is. I just know I can't run fast much at this point or I will overload. In reality 60 should be my rallying point. You and I really have no governor when it comes to trying eclectic training regiments.

    ReplyDelete