Saturday, March 24, 2018

Larry Yount

I was out on the road last week for work and decided to spend a long weekend visiting my Mom and siblings.  This was very enjoyable and I did get to double digits on hot dog consumption.  I did spend Saturday touring around North Park running the Lt. JC Stone 50k on the park roads.  Started comfy, loosened up around 10 miles, stayed steady, and then bull winkled the final 10 at 8:08 pace.  I'll take it.  It was 17 degrees at the start, but the very low wind factor made it runnable.  My 4:27 finish was 19 minutes faster than when I ran 4:46 here at the GNC 50k in 1999.  It was a good trainer for Ice Age.

I consider myself knowledgeable about most all things related to running.  I've been running since the 70s so I know how to run 20 miles without a bottle, power dump without travelers checks, flip my shorts around if I'm chafing, or even handle a couple farm bred canines.  I never really accomplished anything in running, but certainly understand what accomplished ones look like.  In the cartoon world I'm your Tennessee Tuxedo level.  If I was a rock band then probably Bloodrock.  Baseball player...similar to Larry Yount.  Even looking at these they were all way beyond my grasp. 

Beck of the Peck is a blog I read and I am reminded there of the amount of Shamanism that has entered our avocation.  I don't wander much on the internet.  I go to a couple blog sites and read the variety of blogs those folks have attached there.  I do enjoy these.  Much like looking up clips of the Pens and old movie dancers: (I'm probably unable to do this attachment correctly)

 https://youtu.be/M1F0lBnsnkE

Regardless, the recent post had me linking to a few places I'd probably not find.  What other world exists out there?   I know I don't look like a runner, but how many runners exist that claim very respectful finish times and yet at the same time would blend in better for a China Buffet ad?  Look I've ran a handful of ultra events and I can't pound out hundreds of miles using special drinks and a positive attitude.  It got me to thinking of what people have told me over the years about what they were going to achieve.  The mere act of discussing what you are going to achieve and dressing appropriately for the part ended up being enough.  I'll leave it at that.  I don't claim any extra special disposition, but do some people have any clue I'm not The Incredible Mr. Limpet?  I know a good fish story when I hear one.

Last week 58.1 miles on 4 runs.

No comments:

Post a Comment