Sunday, March 25, 2018

Warren G. Harding...crikey!

Yes it has occurred to me that I am not training in a way which would optimize my run at Ice Age.  It seems clear that I should bank on the single long run and have a really good effort speed wise on another day.  I should probably throw a nice mid week long run in there every couple weeks and spend most of the other days either petering around for 50 minutes easy, or just rest entirely.  It would probably only take a mix of about 9 of these types of runs in a month and it would work fine.  Problem is I don't care to run faster much anymore and I seem tired anyway; rested or not.  Besides I kind of like going out tired early in the morning and just figure out how to make it work.  Bone chipping it over 50 miles does mean you have to figure out how to make it when uncomfortable.

Truth be told I started running more in HS because I wanted it to hurt less.  It was easier to hurt over the last three laps in the 2 mile rather than the last six.  Head out with the leaders and hang on.  How dumb were we?  Can't blame the coaches...we had no distance coach.  Back then it was 6 quarters after a warm-up then you were done, followed by 3-4 miles the next day with 8 x 100 sprints.  All mixed in with 2-3 meets a week.  Good times!  Must have been okay though because our 4 x 880y relay record turns 40 this year.  The 39 seasons after going to the 4 x 800m has not replaced this yet via conversion.  It's been a good run, I hope someone crushes it.  No one knows who Havranek-Dehart-Linton-Miller are anyway.  Think of it this way.  I was born in 1961, so 40 years earlier in 1921 we were three years removed from WWI.  Just for grins I looked up Havranek on LinkedIn and just sent a note to connect.  He was our only Senior on the team.  Pretty sure I have not talked to him since then.  Linton and I graduated the same year in '79 and were good friends.  I ran into him on a trip back home in late '12.  He still lives in the school district.  That the record still stood was one of the first things he told me.  If you read the blog I mentioned last year I ran by the HS and just had to go look through the gym window.  My cousin graduated the same year (different HS) and her daughters both went on to beat and set the new HJ record.  What about Miller?  He had the 880 record at the time...I think 1:58.  It's since been bettered a couple times.  Low 1:50s now by another Miller kid (not related).  That Miller set the 400, 800, and 1600 records. The old Miller was a beast.  Heck of a football player.  Everyone called him Grubby, but I'm not sure to his face.  He ran on the 4x8, 4x4, 880, and threw the javelin.  Of course back then most all of us competed in 3-4 events.  Me?  I was on the 4x8 and ran the 1 and 2 mile.  The girl I took to the senior prom won gold at states in the javelin (I remember seeing her in T&F news in the top 50 while in HS) and just for grins medaled like 5th in the 800m at states.  Went full ride on a basketball scholarship to Fordham.  I will end by saying the song Sultans of Swing was out my senior year.  Time to climb out of the way back machine.

Week 35 miles on 4 runs.  I was tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment