Sunday, September 22, 2019

The wild frontier

Looks like the field for Big’s Backyard is set.  With only 75 entrants getting in, I doubt 20% of the field will drop in a few weeks.  Which means it’s all systems go for the Glacial Trail 50 mile.  That is 3 weeks out from today and I feel pretty good about where I am physically.  Got in about 91 miles this week and would be happy with about 80 next week.  It is no more than power jogging these days, but honestly that is all I have and I am enjoying it.

A doe and three fawns got in front of me yesterday in one of the near by neighborhoods.  Not close as I was doing about 20mph, but I did miss my turn.  Suddenly I am finding all this new running turf I was unaware of.  Looking forward to some exploratory shuffling up there.  Probably require 9-10 mile minimum run, but new turf is always a bonus.  Might get up there tomorrow.

I have this new GPS watch.  Not even remotely close to being accurate.  Not the miles, heart rate, or sleep data.  There are many things you can track, but it throws out all these numbers not remotely accurate.  I called customer service only because of the severity of difference.  Known 6.5 mile loop measured 5.1 miles.  Known 2 miles out measured 2.4 out and 1.86 back.  Comical at best, but they gave me a place to go to load up new software or some thing.  I am off tomorrow, maybe I can figure it out.  I picked the watch for my 35 anniversary gift.  I’ll use it, but get me reasonably close!

So what to expect at the 50?  It is an out and back and with Dewey getting a hip replacement the following day he is out.  Tim has stepped in and that is awesome.  Honestly I like crew for the convenience, but it is also huge knowing someone you run with will be out there sharing the experience and rooting you on.  I like the intel as well.  I’m not that far gone where I don’t like to catch people or hold them off.  That’s part of the reason I do this.  Eleven minute miles is a 9:10 so that is the goal.  I’ll plan on going out conservative in the dark and stay within myself the first half.  I’ll try and keep it that way and if I can catch a hot spot the last 10-15 miles try and ride that in.  Always sounds easy when you are sitting on the couch watching the Packer game.

I can’t believe how easy it was to cover 90 miles when you don’t care about the pace 95% of the time.  A couple times a week if I feel thermodynamic, I’ll catch a mile or two around 8:30 pace, but that’s it.  Since the wife works full time at the end of the day I get the dog out for a couple and then add on another 2-3 on top of that.  Truly a win - win - win, because if the dog wasn’t involved the world has a different spin.  Just how life works and I am good with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment