Sunday, September 1, 2019

Yifter the shifter

I get a kick out of this continuing trend towards less miles in training runners.  The main thing is the main thing.  You want to run at your best then the first 5 big rocks in the jar are running.  If the goal is to achieve the best result then figure out how to run more.  I have no problem with all the other stuff, just say that you want to achieve at 60 - 70 - 80 percent of the potential.  When I run 35 miles a week I get 35 mile a week results.  If I add other elements that add up to 2-3 hours of other work, I personally still get less of an outcome if I spent that time running.  Most of my posse is out doing ultra events throughout the year so lack of running definitely has an effect.  Hey, I get the fact that in older people one must rely on other aerobic alternatives to stay in the game.  I’m not that far away.

Sometimes we just don’t want to do the work.  All this running does more than get you physically ready for an ultra.  You have to figure all the other elements out which to me is the challenge.  I can be somewhat of a minimalist.  I don’t have a lot of gear.  I borrow it once or twice a year from friends who are super generous and usually have multiple versions of what I need.  I also don’t go over 50 miles events.  Anyway, I’m still learning stuff after a lifetime of running.  I just had to incorporate a new system of running shorts because of continued chafing issues.  And I did it with stuff I already owned.  Outside of all the things one manages to keep on your feet for hours, I’ve noticed the older I get it is difficult to stay in the zone.  The auto pilot is broke.  Focus, energy swings, and general karma have been thrown out.  You have to deal with staying in cruise mode continually.  Adjustments are made over minutes and not miles.  You have to go run a ton of miles to work on this.  Just like anything else.

So with my 35th work anniversary I get to pick a nice gift.  Lots of choices and the value of these are around $500.  I noticed a Suunto 9 GPS watch which I would never buy on my own.  It has a ton of features which I would use few.  I like the long battery it provides.  I read reviews and most of the complaints are stuff I would not use.  People actually care about posting all their runs?  What’s the deal?  I just want to actually race you over 50 miles, not try and beat your Hoboken Joe 3.4 loop PR.

No comments:

Post a Comment