Sunday, November 10, 2013

Speed of lightning

I guess I have overlooked the obvious for years.  The whole enchilada for your basic first time 50 mile participant is wrapped in the long run.  People used to ask me, "What pace do you think I should run the marathon at?"  Of course I have no idea.  The way I trained for the marathon was knowing exactly what pace I could run the whole way.  That's what I trained to do.  Any advice I give for the noob 50 mile participant from now on is work the long run.

It's all in there.  Everything you need to know is in there as long as you get to 4-6 hours about 3 times.  Of course working up to that will bring lessons, but some things are out there much farther.  One tends to forget once they have gained the experience.  Let's face it, there is nothing worse than chaffing or blistering.  It can get out of hand.  You have to toughen yourself up and know where your problem spots are.

Any food advice you get is just that.  No one fuels the same, reacts the same, or places the same importance on it.  I was taught you have to take 200-250 calories per hour.  That does not work for me.  When I start thinking too much about eating...then I usually eat too much and fill bloated.  Same with drinking.  What has worked for me is I do not drink or eat anything until the first aid station at 5 miles.  From there I grab a little food at each station or grab a bar/gel from my wife to gnaw on occasionally.  The faster you go the harder it seems to get the fuel right.

Just keep in mind.  There is a buffet every 3-4 miles so why you would want to dress and pack like Inspector Gadget I have no idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment