Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Havlichek stole the ball

So I've been out power jogging around in a winter cap and a hood jersey.  Because of the high amount of deer flies this has turned into an excellent idea.  I never notice them, but once finished and I peel the clothes off they are on me like a German Shepard on a rib roast.  Hopefully I'm getting some heat training benefit for the 5 mile race in 11 days.

Saw a guy (kid) I know who is now 34.  Told me he started running in April.  He's running 2 miles most mornings and now evenings.  Told me he just ran 5:58 for one of the miles that week.  He's 6' easy and 195...because I asked him.  I told him that's awesome and he'd kick my rear end which he's not buying.  Seriously he would crush me.  I said all this to say; he was never a runner.  Anyone with a modicum of talent can run.  I forgot what that was like.  Put on the shoes and start twinkle toeing immediately.  It takes me 2 miles easy to bust the rust off.  It doesn't matter what you do the stiffness, dings, and general malaise is ever present.  Two months ago on the trail I twisted my knee a hair and the pain is still there.  Never got worse and never became better.  It's is just there Bro.  Not enough to curb any effort, but start banging up steps 2 at a time and it gets PO'd.

To get faster years ago the idea was more miles.  You get older and it seems to be less miles and more speed.  I'm not buying into that for me.  It's more miles and more speed.  The idea that some of us would at older ages decide to run more miles seems comical.  I mean to average 10-15 miles a day takes time now-a-days.  There's no 10 miler in 65-70 minutes.  I also can't get out of bed and Shirley Temple down the road in 10 minutes.  I'm lucky to get out the door in under an hour.  It can be an act of selfishness.  People around you pick up that your in zero mode to do much of anything else until the run is completed.  There is little middle ground and my main job is keep the wife as happy as possible.  She has zero interest in running which in a way is better than you may think.  I have no business going into these running worm holes, but little else interests me in my free time for now.  Again...all this to be mediocre doesn't seem to add up, but I can't seem to give up the ghost.

Oh and I did sign up for the 55th annual JFK 50 mile.  Ran it in 2000.  It is a great event.  I'm going down to race.  Whatever that means.

No comments:

Post a Comment