Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Pink Fluorescent

When I lay my head on the pillow at night it is common to begin thinking about training.  Probably because I just set the alarm clock to get up and run.  Now most of the training I ponder is for Ice Age which is no surprise.  I know what I have to do running wise, but thoughts of streamlining the time of not moving forward have entered my head.  I can't waste a lot of time if I want to break 8 hours again.  What can I do to just never stop?  Preventative measures are required such as fueling, hydrating and electrolytes, but proper clothing, lubing and calls of nature take time as well.  You have to have a good crew person to help as well and I have one in Donna.  I tell her at each aid station what to prepare for at the next one.

There must be other stuff, but again all this stuff is fleshed out during the long training runs.  I try and keep it really simple and last year was the first year I took zero calls of nature.  Nada, zip, zil which I had not thought possible.  I did not hydrate much prior and I always have a few cups of coffee.  This is how I run everyday and I figured why try and drink extra before Ice Age?  I think there is something to people over hydrating prior to running a long event.  Get out on the run for 30-45 minutes and then start your regiment.  I hate the feeling of being too full early in the event.  It can be a difficult balance. 

The past few years I also have not really warmed up so to speak.  I used to and now I think I want to be ready to roll right from the start.  By the time I get going many of the people I know are way out ahead and I have to hope the balance comes together.  Any one who runs knows this is a crap shoot.  I'm going to spend some time this year on the long runs doing exactly what I want to do at Ice Age.

No comments:

Post a Comment