Wednesday, February 21, 2024

Four eleven gears

 I lit out today on another 1:30 effort.  The kidney was hardly noticeable and right away I knew it was going to be a good run.  You just know.  I ended up averaging 10:16 pace.  I hit a couple of the end miles at sub 10:00 and just Barney Rubbled it the last mile.

 Of course I am always analyzing pace.  What if I could do this, or what if I build up to that.  It doesn't mean anything, but it's what I do when Ice Age is on the horizon.  For years when I would see someone ahead I did not have to make a conscious decision to go after them.  The divining rod came out on its own.  Plenty of times they'd put in an effort to stay in front (I did the same thing) of me.  You just kind of let them play it out.  I mean there is only 20 miles left.

 Now at the back of the pack you manage things differently.   You can't have too many bad spots or you hemorrhage time.  You have to make hay when you can which means no camping at aid stations.   Get your 3 ounces of Coke, a dried P & J square and keep on trucking big momma down the highway.

No comments:

Post a Comment