Thursday, August 11, 2011

Slowly blow your little mind

It was just getting real good last night and it had to end.  Talk about 24 hour runs...500 milers.  Different looks at it, non-agreement, personal experience, conjecture, mastering the time continuum, etc.  That's kind of when it's best.  Get a taste and leave room for later.  I think the looming Sawtooth race for some had us talking about being out there.  I knew I wasn't ready.  Craig had some real interesting comments that made me think.  Craig ran 22 blue loops at Nordic last year in 58 hours and change with a broken foot.  That's just over 200 miles.  Sometimes it's best to just listen.

At one time I thought I might like to venture once into that rhealm.  Perhaps it would be the last great adventure for me.  That's all I'm going to say about that for now.

I opted to do 8 miles this evening on a hilly road out and back.  Ran 30:51 out and returned in 27:54.  T'was a bit of work, but my decision to race Al's Run 8k on September 17th left me thinking I should start picking it up a bit.  I think today I decided I'll have my own little weekly race series.  Racing one's self into shape works pretty fairly even if my only competitor is the watch.

I looked up Ken Brett on Wikipedia recently to confirm what I though I remembered.  As a pitcher, he hit a home run in 4 consecutive starts as a pitcher.  That's impressive, but not as good as Rick Wise throwing a no-hitter and hitting 2 homers in the same game.  Believe both did it for Philly in the early 70s.

If you get the chance, go on youtube and watch part 2 of the Sports Century series on Secretariat.  It covers the Belmont Stakes race where he wins by 31 lengths.  Search - Secretariat Sports Century Belmont.  "Secretariat is moving...like a tremendous machine!"  It will fire you up.  Trust me on this, it is worth the view.



No comments:

Post a Comment